Residency or Citizenship

Make sure your residency and citizenship are correct

Your residency classification and citizenship can affect your tuition and your eligibility for financial aid. Be sure your information is up to date.

Residency classification

When you're admitted to IU, you're classified as a resident or a nonresident based on information you provided when you applied. Your residency classification affects your tuition rates. You can apply for residency reclassification by completing the Application for Classification as a Resident Student for Fee Paying Purposes


Learn how IU determines your residency


Frequently Asked Questions

U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are 21 years of age or emancipated are eligible for resident student status after they have been physically present in Indiana for twelve consecutive months (prior to the first day of classes) without the predominant purpose of education.

Students who are under 21 years of age and unemancipated are eligible for resident student status if their parents or legal guardians reside in Indiana. Unemancipated students under 21 years of age whose parents or legal guardians move to Indiana can be classified as resident students without first living in the state for 12 months.

However, in cases of legal guardianship agreements, it must be shown that the guardianship agreement was sought for reasons other than to enable the student to become eligible for resident student status or for the purpose of attending an Indiana high school. An official copy of the court documents that outline the guardianship agreement must be provided to the University.

Effective Fall 2007, students with immigration statuses which permit the establishment of a domicile in the United States may be eligible to pay resident fees provided the individuals have otherwise satisfied the conditions for resident student status. Current eligible classifications are: A-1, A-2, A-3, E-1, E-2, E-3, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, H-1B, H-4, I, L-1, L-2, O-1, O-3, V-1, V-2, and V-3. Continuing eligibility to remain classified as a resident student for fee-paying purpose depends upon the continued maintenance of eligible immigration status. Students with eligible classifications who feel they may be eligible for a change in status should contact the Office of the Registrar for more information.

No. The exception (noted above) to the 12 month physical presence requirement applies only to unemancipated persons under 21 years of age whose parents or legal guardians move to or reside in Indiana. All other persons must meet the 12 month physical presence requirement.

This student would need to provide a notarized statement from the parents indicating the level of financial support provided to the student and the date when the parents last claimed the student as a dependent on their federal income tax returns.

In addition, this student would need to provide a financial statement indicating all sources and amounts of income sufficient for self support.

This student would then have to be physically present in Indiana for 12 consecutive months without the predominant purpose of education in order to become eligible for resident student status.

No. Any person who meets the residence guidelines is eligible for resident student status without regard to previous enrollment as a nonresident student.

No. If a person can provide convincing evidence that the move to Indiana was without the predominant purpose of attending an institution of higher education, future resident student classification should not be affected by University enrollment during the 12 month residence period even if such enrollment is on a full-time basis.

No. Although marriage to a resident of Indiana is one of the factors considered in the determination of predominant purpose, the existence of this factor does not require a finding of resident status.

However, after providing convincing evidence that the marriage has changed a student's predominant purpose for being in Indiana, a nonresident student may be eligible for reclassification to resident student status 12 months after the date of marriage.

No. Persons who are in Indiana for the predominant purpose of education do not become eligible for resident student status on the basis of paying taxes to the state.

Yes. The state of Indiana determines for specific purposes (driver's licenses, voter registration, etc.) the requirements for becoming a legal resident of the state. However, the state legislature has delegated to Indiana's institutions of higher education the responsibility of determining when a person becomes eligible for resident student status.

Many nonresident students are considered legal residents of the state. These individuals are eligible to carry an Indiana driver's license, to register to vote, and to be called to serve as members of juries. However, persons who reside in Indiana for the predominant purpose of education are considered nonresidents for fee-paying purposes at the University.

No. Once a person has been properly classified as a resident student, that person shall remain a resident student so long as remaining continuously enrolled (Fall and Spring terms) in the University until earning the degree in progress.

No, the alumni status of the student's parents is not a factor in determining residence classification.

Military families from Indiana maintain their Indiana resident status as long as they continue to file their personal income tax returns in Indiana. Members of these families must provide copies of their Indiana income tax returns or military documents that indicate the personal income tax withholding state of the military member.

When students are admitted to the University, the Office of Admissions (for undergraduates) or the University Graduate School (for graduates) render the initial residence classification determination. Decisions made in these offices are based on the information provided by students during the admission application process.

Students who want to appeal their nonresident status should contact the Office of the Registrar and should request and complete an "Application for Classification as a Resident Student at Indiana University for Fee-Paying Purposes." After the completed application is evaluated, the student is notified in writing of the decision rendered.

Yes. Circumstances that exist on the first day of classes of each individual semester/session determine a person's eligibility for resident student status for that term.

Students have until the last day of the effective term to deliver their completed application for reclassification to the Office of the Registrar using our Secure Contact Form.

Yes. The nonresident portion of the fees already paid will be refunded if the student applies for resident student status before the deadline and if a resident decision is rendered. Note that the "effective date" for determining the student's eligibility is the first day of classes of the effective term.

Yes. Decisions from the campus Office of the Registrar can be appealed to the University Standing Committee on Residence. A written request for an appeal should be sent to the Office of the Registrar indicating whether a personal appearance with the committee is desired.

The Standing Committee on Residence always meets on the Bloomington campus, generally meeting on the first Thursday of each month.

Yes. Two student members are appointed to the committee by the President of the University.

Yes. Students may invite family members, friends, or other persons to the committee meeting.

The student is notified in writing of the decision of the committee members.


You’ll need to verify your citizenship to be eligible for in-state tuition rates as well as scholarships, grants, assistantships, or other aid funded through IU. Log into One.IU and go to Citizenship Verification.

If you’re unable to verify that you’re lawfully residing in the United States, your residency status will be changed to nonresident, and your university financial aid will be removed.

Your residency and aid will be unaffected if:

  • You’re a U.S. citizen
  • You’re a permanent resident, asylee, or refugee
  • You live outside the United States and will complete your program while residing abroad
  • You’re a foreign national with a valid U.S. visa or immigration status

Why do we require this information?

Indiana law (IC 21-14-11) prohibits us from offering resident tuition rates or university-funded aid to anyone who isn’t in the United States legally.

Verify your citizenship