We maintain three different names for you:
- Primary. This is your legal name according to the federal government and the state of Indiana. It’s on your academic record, transcripts, and your diploma (unless you’ve indicated a degree name). Please view your unofficial transcript to see how your full Primary name appears on your record, as the Student Center only displays your first and last name.
- Preferred. You can change this to a nickname or shortened version of your name (e.g., Cindy instead of Cynthia). It’s used in learning management systems such as Canvas, class and grade rosters, and on your CampusAccess card.
- Degree. This is used on your diploma only. You can request a variation of your legal name for your diploma (e.g., your middle initial rather than your full middle name).
Change your primary name
It’s your responsibility to verify that your primary name is listed correctly, including hyphens, spaces, lower and uppercase letters, and accent marks.
If your name has been legally changed or is inaccurate in our system, you can request a change. The process for changing your primary name depends on whether you are a student only or both a student and an employee. Either way, you’ll need to include legal documentation of your name, such as:
- Your driver’s license
- Your passport
- Your Social Security card
- An official court document
If you’re a current or former student
Submit your address change through our secure contact form. Under “Topic,” choose “Student Records,” and then “Update Name or Profile.”
You’ll need to include a scan or photo of legal documentation of your name. If you don’t immediately get a success message after submitting your update, make sure the image size, filename extension, and filename length follow the criteria listed on the contact form.
After your form has been processed, your updated primary name will appear on your academic record, diploma, and transcripts.
If you’re a student employee
Complete and submit a personal data change form, along with a copy of legal documentation of your name, to the appropriate office listed below.
As a courtesy, we’ll change your degree name for you if you request a change as described in “Change your degree name” on this page. Note that until your personal data change form has been submitted, your primary name and your degree name won’t match. Matching names can be especially important for international students.
Change your preferred name
To see your current name or to change your preferred first or middle name, log in to One.IU and go to Personal Information. Choose “Edit” to modify your preferred name. Note that this will not update the name on your diploma or transcripts.
Change your degree name
If you would like a variation of your legal name on your diploma, use our secure contact form to let us know. Under “Topic,” choose “Student Records,” and then “Update Name or Profile.” Be sure to specify that you’re requesting a change to your degree name, and include your 10-digit university ID number.