We maintain three different names for you:
- Primary. This is your legal name according to the federal government and the state of Indiana. It’s on your academic record and transcripts. Please view your unofficial transcript to see how your full Primary name appears on your record, as the Student Center only displays your first and last name.
- Preferred. Many students use a name that differs from their primary name. It’s used in learning management systems such as Canvas, class and grade rosters, and on your CrimsonCard. These may include individuals who prefer to use:
- a middle name instead of a first name;
- an anglicized name;
- a name to which the individual is in the process of legally changing;
- a name that better represents the individual’s gender identity; or
- a stage or performance name.
- Degree. Your degree name is used on your diploma and in the Commencement program. Note that changes to your degree name must be completed by these deadlines in order to be automatically included:
- May Commencement Program: by February 28th
- December Commencement Program: by September 30th
- Your Diploma: before your degree award date
Change your primary name
It’s your responsibility to verify that your primary name is listed correctly, including hyphens, spaces, lower and uppercase letters, and accent marks.
If your name has been legally changed or is inaccurate in our system, you can request a change. The process for changing your primary name depends on whether you are a student only or both a student and an employee. Either way, you’ll need to include legal documentation of your name, such as:
- Your driver’s license
- Your passport
- Your Social Security card
- An official court document
If you’re a current or former student
Submit your name change through our secure contact form. Under “Topic,” choose “Student Records,” and then “Update Name or Profile.”
You’ll need to include a scan or photo of legal documentation of your name. If you don’t immediately get a success message after submitting your update, make sure the image size, filename extension, and filename length follow the criteria listed on the contact form.
After your form has been processed, your updated primary name will appear on your academic record and transcripts.
Change your preferred name
To see your current name or to change your preferred first or middle name, log in to One.IU and go to Personal Information. Choose “Biographical Info” to modify your preferred name and select "Save." Note that this will not update the name on your diploma or transcripts.
Change your degree name
If you would like a variation of your name on your diploma, log in to One.IU and go to Personal Information > Biographical Information > Names. E-mail RegrDemo@iu.edu if your degree name includes special characters that the system will not retain after you save it.
Please consider that if you will be moving abroad for work or study, or pursuing professional licensing, you may encounter problems if the name on your diploma does not match your legal name.