IU Grants

Pell Promise Award

If you’re an in-state student who qualifies for a Federal Pell Grant, you’ll automatically be considered for an IU Pell Promise Award for the same semester. This award pays tuition and mandatory fees that are not covered by the Federal Pell Grant or other types of gift aid.

To be eligible for a Pell Promise Award, you must:

  • Be classified as an Indiana resident undergraduate
  • Be an incoming freshman or the recipient of a Pell Promise Award the year prior, and must not be a transfer student
  • Be enrolled full time at the end of the first week of classes (note that waitlisted classes do not count)

Your Pell Promise Award depends on your Expected Family Contribution and will decrease as other gift aid (grants, scholarships, and other aid you don’t have to repay) is reported.

Learn more about Federal Pell Grants

21st Century Scholarship Covenant

If you receive the 21st Century Scholarship Award, you’ll automatically be considered for a 21st Century Scholarship Covenant.