Verification is the process of confirming the accuracy of information that was reported by you and your parents or spouse on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Each year FAFSA applicants nationwide are selected by the Federal Central Processing System for verification. Selected students must complete verification before financial aid eligibility can be reviewed and disbursed to the student’s account.
You will be contacted by our office if you are selected for verification. Notification will come by mail. You’ll also see the verification items in your OneStart To-Do List.
- Refer to your verification letter to determine the specific next steps you must complete, which will include one of the following:
- Importing your 2013 tax return into the FAFSA with the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Submitting 2013 Tax Transcripts if the IRS determines that you are ineligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Submitting the Statement of Non-Filer Form if you were not required to file a 2013 tax return by IRS regulations.
- You should complete Verification as quickly as possible to avoid delays with your financial aid. We suggest completing all required steps no later than June 15, 2014 to make sure your aid is processed in time for the fall semester bill.
- All forms and documents must include the student’s name and 10-digit ID number.
- All forms with signature lines must be signed.
- Once we have all of your documentation, expect 3 - 4 weeks for your file to be processed. It’s important to turn in all of the required documents at the same time. Missing documents will result in processing delays.
- Continue to monitor your IU email account and OneStart ‘To-Do List’ for updates and notifications about the verification process.
Ways to Submit Documentation:
Preferred Methods are email or fax:
Fax: (812) 856-2500
You can also mail to:
RE: Verification Department
Office of Student Financial Assistance, Indiana University
408 N. Union St
Bloomington, Indiana 47405
If you are needing to complete 2013-2014 Verification, please contact email@example.com.