Question? Ask Student Central:

Third Party Sponsors

Third Party Sponsor

Sponsored students are those for whom an agency outside the university is paying student fees. This usually is an employer but includes government agencies, Voational Rehabilitation, Military branches, foreign governments, Trusts, 529 Plans and other such funding sources.

To initiate the sponsor process, students (or organizations) must submit a financial voucher or other documentation from the sponsoring agency indicating what portion of their tuition and fees should be billed to the sponsoring agency. Depending on the particular sponsor, the financial voucher may be called an authorization, letter of credit, financial guarantee or, for 529 plans, is a letter indicating how many hours the student has remaining. The financial voucher or oher sponsor documentation should include, at a minimum, the following information:

  • student's name and Univeristy Identification Number (UID)
  • authorized term or range of dates covered by the financial voucher
  • sponsor organization's contact information, includcing name, mailding address, and phone number
  • amount authorized or the kinds of charges covered by the financial voucher
  • address tow hich invoice should be sent

Vouchers may be submitted using any of the following methods:

  • electronic mail to our sponsor group email account at
  • by fax to 812-855-7535
  • or by U.S. mail to IU Bloomington Office of the Bursar, ATTN: Sponsor, 400 East 7th Street, Bloomington, IN 47405-3085

To avoid late fees, vouchers should be submitted to the Ofice of the Bursar by the due date listed on the student's bill. Payment of fees by the sponsor cannot be contingent upon specific classes, final grades, course completion, or employment status. 

By providing us with your voucher, you are authorizing the release of pertinent student account information as required for our office to invoice your sponsor. 

Due to the nature of the sponsor process, most sponsor credit adjustments or cancellations happen late in the semester, after the Office of the Bursar has exhausted all efforts to collect payment. It is important for sponsored students to monitor their university email as that is the oficial means of communication for the university. A credit on the stuent's account does not mean the sponsor has fulfilled their obligation.

Failure on the part of the sponsor to pay will result in charges reverting back to the student's account. Often this results in a past due balance on the student's account, subject to late fees and from the sponsor when the stuent's account remains past due.

Within 48 hours of receipt of the voucher, the Office of the Bursar will place a credit on the student's account, which will defer the student's fee payment obligation and keep the stuent's account in good standing. The appropriate charges are transfered to the sponsor's account and invoiced after the term's refund periods are over. The invoice is due in full approximately 30 days later.

If the invoice becomes past due, the Office of the Bursar will continue to follow up with the sponsor to determine why there is a delay in payment. If the payment is not received or the sponsor does not respond, the student will be notified via email. for the student account to remain in good standing, the sponsor must pay or contact us within 14 days. At this point, the student should follow up with the sponsor to determine why the sponsor has not paid. In most cases, the sponsor needs additional information from the student.