Change Your Registration

Military Withdrawal

What to Do If You’re Called to Active Duty

If you serve in the U.S. armed forces, we understand that you may be called to duty with little notice for the following reasons:

  • Active duty deployment (not including basic training)
  • Specialized training
  • Disaster relief efforts

If you’re an IU student whose education is interrupted because you have been called to serve, you have four options. If you have questions about these options or need help deciding which option is best for you, contact Veterans Support Services.

  • Withdraw from All Classes

    You’ll receive a 100 percent refund of your tuition and fees, no matter how far into the semester you’ve studied. If you withdraw after the first week of the semester, you will receive a W on your transcript.

    This is important: If you decide to withdraw, you (or another responsible party) will need to make your request within one week of receiving your official orders.

    You may also be subject to refund policies if you receive financial aid. You can talk with a financial aid counselor before you withdraw.

    To withdraw, bring a copy of your orders to the Veterans Support Services office, along with a signed note stating your intention to withdraw. The Veterans Support staff will handle the rest. If you do not have a copy of your orders yet, bring your military ID to the office. We can use this to begin the process, with the understanding you will provide orders when they become available.

  • Request an Incomplete Grade

    With the permission of the instructor, you may receive a grade of I (incomplete) for your current semester’s coursework. You will then have one calendar year from the date the incomplete is recorded to complete the required assignments and tests.

  • Receive a Grade Based on Work Completed

    With the permission of the instructor, you may choose to be graded on the work you have completed to date.

  • Withdraw from Specific Courses, Stay Enrolled in Others

    Work with your instructor to see if this is an option. If it's possible, you'll then work with the Veterans Support Services office to handle the rest.

Go on Military Leave of Absence

If you decide to withdraw from class while on duty, or if you will not return in time to enroll next semester, you can be placed on military leave of absence (LOA). Your leave of absence will last until you return from service. While you are gone, your IU computer and email accounts will remain accessible.

To request a military leave of absence, submit a copy of your orders to the Veterans Support Services office.

Contact Veterans Support
  • Address
    Indiana University
    Veterans Support Services
    Division of Student Affairs
    Indiana Memorial Union M 084
    Bloomington, Indiana 47405
  • Phone
    (812) 856-1985