Our student database stores both a Primary and Preferred name for you.

Your Primary name data is your legal identifier, as recognized by the federal government (Social Security Administration and the Department of State) and the state of Indiana. It’s what is reflected on your official academic record, and is used for grade rosters, transcripts, and diplomas.

The Preferred name can be modified by an individual to recognize a diminutive or nickname (e.g., Bob rather than Robert or Cindy rather than Cynthia).

  • View your current name in the Student Center
    1. Go to the Student Center. (via One.IU)
    2. Click the Start button.
    3. Login to CAS using your network Username and Password (if prompted).
    4. Scroll to the Personal Information section.
    5. Click the Names link.

Primary and Preferred names are used for academic advising and grade reporting. Class grade recording uses the Preferred name data field. Instructors may not recognize that different names, such as gender-different names, belong to the same student.

There is active monitoring of the name changes. When you choose to modify your Preferred name to something that differs greatly from your legal Primary name, Student Central on Union staff will follow up with you to verify the change.

Change Your Name

If your name has been legally changed, you’ll need to visit us and fill out a change of name form. Please come prepared with legal documentation, such as an original Social Security card, marriage certificate, or official court document. Once your form has been processed, your new name will be reflected on your academic record. We’ll send a notification to your school or department.

In certain cases, such as transgendered students with differently gendered Preferred and Primary names, to reduce the chance of confusion and possible embarrassment, we suggest you legally change your name and officially update your IU academic record. If you do not wish to do this, we suggest that upon changing your Preferred name you advise the Office of the Registrar at of your dual name status.

Learn more on making updates to your gender »

University Employees

Please note that if you are both a student and an employee, either hourly or academic, your Primary name is maintained by a separate office. Consequently, the Office of the Registrar requirements for name changes do not apply to the main Primary IU record for student employees.

Current or former hourly employees and academic appointees, such as graduate assistants or associate instructors, must complete a Personal Data Change Form to make a name change for submission to Faculty Records or Human Resources.

As a courtesy, with legal documentation, we will create a Diploma name field. Please note that until a Personal Data Change Form has been submitted, the Primary transcript name and the Diploma name will not match. Matching names is especially important for our international students.

This is important: Legal documentation, such as a copy of a Social Security card, marriage certificate, passport, or official court document, must be provided to support the name changes.

Current or former hourly employees should deliver or mail their form to:

  • Address
    Indiana University Human Resources Services
    Poplars E165, 400 E. 7th Street
    Bloomington, IN 47405-3085
  • Phone
    For additional questions, call (812) 855-2172

Current or former academic appointees should mail or deliver the form to this address:

  • Address
    Indiana University Academic Personnel Policies and Services
    Bryan Hall 016, 107 S. Indiana Ave.
    Bloomington, IN 47405
  • Phone
    Former students, call (812) 855-2026
Former Students

If you are not currently enrolled and are no longer living in Bloomington, you can send your name change request by mail, fax, secure link, or email.

  • Address
    Indiana University Office of the Registrar
    408 N. Union Street
    Bloomington, Indiana 47405-3800
  • Fax
    (812) 855-3311
  • Secure Link
    (Select the Topic: Update Name or Profile)

The requests should include:

  • Your 10-digit Student ID Number or the last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN)
  • The exact name that now appears on your university record
  • The updated name as you want it to appear on your university record
  • A phone number or email address for submission verification
  • Correct Student Home (permanent) address
  • Your written signature
  • Reason for change (e.g., marital status change)
  • Copy of legal documentation, such as a copy of a Social Security card, copy of a marriage certificate, or official court document that supports the name change

For email requests, please scan the appropriate documentation and send the images/files as attachments along with the required information outlined above. Please be aware that IT experts do not consider email to be a secure medium.

To ensure that your records are complete, please also update your Student Home (permanent) address.