A gender update is usually associated with a name change and the documentation is similar.

Generally your state of legal residence has authority regarding your gender status. There are remedies for amending your name and/or gender status available through medical procedure documentation and court decisions. If you wish to change your status at Indiana University Bloomington, and to avoid frustration, we recommend you seek changes at your state level first.

If you need additional assistance, we recommend you contact either the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Student Support Services Office or the Student Advocates Office.

If your current legal name is different from the name on your birth certificate or lawful status document, you must show legal proof of the name change (showing a link to all name changes).

Acceptable lawful documents include:

  • Marriage license
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order approving a change of legal name or date of birth
  • Amended birth certificate showing a change of gender
  • Physician’s signed and dated statement which says, "(Your name) successfully underwent all treatment necessary to permanently change (your name)'s gender from (previous gender) to (new gender)."
Gender Designation

To change your status, federal reporting requirements only provide options for male or female. “Unknown” is not an acceptable choice and you will be asked to make a decision. Discussions have begun at the federal, state (Indiana), and university-wide level to recognize and add a transgender designation. This is a lengthy process that will probably not conclude during your IU career.

Residents of Indiana

If you are a resident of Indiana, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles is the authorizing agency for your state identity. Indiana University accepts the same documentation as required by the state. It is to your benefit to have the state-required documentation and your Indiana license updated, prior to changing your Indiana University academic record. We will make copies of your documentation.

Learn more about proving your identity in Indiana »

Non-Indiana Residents

If you are not an Indiana resident, please check with your home state Bureau of Vital Statistics, or call the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, for their documentation requirements.

Recent Department of State regulations allow for the initial issuance, or re-issuance of, a United States passport reflecting a change in, or transitioning to a different gender as attested by a physician. The language includes stating the patient applicant has had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition to the new gender. This usually includes psychological counseling and proof that the patient applicant is in process of, or has completed, gender reassignment.

Visit the United States Department of State to learn specific requirements »

Acceptable IU Bloomington Documents

Generally Indiana University Bloomington will only accept original documents or certified copies from the issuing agency.

IU may refuse any document that appears fraudulent, unreliable, altered, or expired. All documents must be in English or be presented with a verifiably accurate English translation. Your legal name and date of birth on documents presented to IU must match Social Security Administration records.

We prefer to make our documentation copies from your legal and physician-provided original documents. As a courtesy, we will make our copies from your documentation copies if obtaining original documentation will cause you to incur a fee.

Submit your documents to Student Central on Union. Updates to your academic record usually take about a day, but sometimes can sometimes take longer depending on the time of year and the computer applications that have to be refreshed. If your record hasn’t updated after a week, you can contact our office to see what’s going on.